Jay-Z has ranked all his solo albums in honor of his 44th birthday. If you know me or read this blog you know that Jay-Z is my favorite rapper. I have all of these albums. Jay started with Reasonable Doubt and went all the way to this year’s Magna Carta Holy Grail.
The Rankings are as follows:
1. Reasonable Doubt (Classic)
2. The Blueprint (Classic)
3. The Black Album (Classic)
4. Vol. 2 (Classic)
5. American Gangster (4 1/2, cohesive)
6. Magna Carta (Fuckwit, Tom Ford, Oceans, Beach, On the Run, Grail)
7. Vol. 1 (Sunshine kills this album…fuck… Streets, Where I’m from, You Must Love Me…)
8. BP3 (Sorry critics, it’s good. Empire (Gave Frank a run for his money))
9. Dynasty (Intro alone…)
10. Vol. 3 (Pimp C verse alone… oh, So Ghetto)
11. BP2 (Too many songs. Fucking Guru and Hip Hop, ha)
12. Kingdom Come (First game back, don’t shoot me)
I can’t say that I disagree with his rankings, but Dynasty had more good songs than the intro, but all in all I think his rankings are spot on. Kingdom Come, while it is not my favorite, I do like Beach Chair off that CD. Not many rappers, outside of LL Cool J, can say they have 12 albums under their belt. Jay-Z continues to reinvent himself with every album. His story is a testament to the fact that it doesn’t matter where you come from with perseverance and hard work you can achieve anything! The sky is the limit.
Do you agree with his rankings?
- Jay Z Ranks His Own Albums (freshdrops.wordpress.com)