The 2021 Soul Train Awards came on last night and I am her with 5 things I observed during the show.
1. Black artists really need to start attending award created to honor them. It was a very disheartening to see so many artists nominated that decided not to show up, but they will show up at at the Grammys and the AMAs where they are oftentimes overlooked. The Soul Train Awards and NAACP Image Awards should be at the top of every black artists lists to attend.
2. The Soul Cypher was all over the place. It looked like it was the first time they ran through it. It was good to see Elle Varner, and while I love Koryn Hawthorne her part didn’t fit.
3. I love Tichina Arnold and Tisha Campbell as hosts, but I would like to see Erykah Badu back as host. Some of the bits Tichina and Tisha did were corny. A rotation between Erykah and these two would be great!
4. Summer Walker’s performance gave “ I’m just here so I won’t get fined” I honestly think “Insane” would have been a better song to perform for the show, but it was admirable that she decided to share the stage with Ari Lennox for “Unloyal”
5. Lady of Soul recipient Ashanti and Living Legend Award recipient Maxwell both showed why they were honored. Normani presented Ashanti with her award and she ran through her catalog of hits with the help of Fat Joe and Ja Rule. Jazmine Sullivan presented Maxwell with his award and he also ran through his catalog of hits. Going forward with these two awards I would like to see newer artists coming out to perform in honor of the recipients.
Whut, say you?